The name homeopathy is taken from two Greek words meaning “similiar suffering” or “like cures like”.
This natural principal has been known for thousands of years and was developed over 200 years ago by a German physician, Dr Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843).
The principal of “like cures like” refers to the philosophy that a substance which would normally create symptoms of disease in a healthy person, also has the potential to heal those symptoms in a sick person.
Homeopathy does not claim to ‘cure’ any specific disease. The aim is to stimulate the body’s natural ability to heal itself by administering the most ‘similiar’ remedy to the patient.. A homeopath sees symptoms as a sign that there is an imbalance in the body and seeks to treat the person rather than suppressing the symptoms.
People consult a homeopath for various reasons, here are some of them:
- Stress, anxiety & depression
- Panic attacks
- Grief, bereavement, shock
- Asthma, hay-fever, allergies
- Hormonal, menopause, infertility, period problems
- Skin complaints eg. acne, dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis etc
- Chronic fatigue
- Recurrent infections
- Digestive conditions eg. IBS etc
- Arthritis and rheumatic conditions
- Childhood illnesses and behavioural problems
- Glue ear
- Sinus conditions
- Coughs, colds, sore throats
- Muscular and skeletal pain
- Circulatory conditions
- Sports Injuries